[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
White Lightning Productions • View topic - Merch suggestions

Merch suggestions

What are we selling? What should we be selling?

Moderators: Kris@WLP, bar1scorpio, Codewolf

Merch suggestions

Postby Graphictruth » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:12 pm

I'm posting this mostly because I need to post something to indicate this is an active account.

But as it happens, I'm pretty familiar with Zazzle product lines. They have a couple of products that would do very well at conventions and which are ideal for displaying crisp cartoon-style art. I also think they would do well online. While the profit margins are not as good as buying your own and producing it yourself, there are no issues with inventory, so I think it's worth your attention. It's also a perfect way to do limited-edition prints, posters, etc.

Zazzle is not the only firm that does this, of course, but they are the one I'm most familiar with, and they do offer some unique things.

Here are the things I believe would do best at cons, as limited edition, dated loot.

This is the format of my dreams in terms of having my artwork reproduced. It's just freakin' beautiful.

A binder with WLP art on it for collecting originals and signed prints! Cool idea? It certainly means that even if you just break even on them, people are walking around the con putting everyone else's art into a WLP binder. :P

...well, it's a convention. :P

Other products I'd suggest exploring:

The embroidered products work VERY well with line art, but they require a setup/conversion fee. After that cost is recouped, though, there's no further investment other than marketing.

Card templates. I think a line of WLP character occasion cards is a natural idea. They can be set up as templates, so that people can customize them online, but with good generic defaults, you can certainly have a variety for cons.

Calendars. Their calendar layout is the most flexible I've seen. It doesn't even have to be an actual calendar. It could be an art portfolio. That might work rather well for y'all.

Zazzle has no problem with R-rated material, if it's labeled appropriately, and they are reliable and reasonable to deal with.

Graphictruth
Just getting started

Postby Kris@WLP » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:11 am

Thanks for the suggestion, but after looking over their rates, it's less accurate to say lower profit margin and more accurate to say no profit margin.

Honestly, they're almost as bad as CafePress. The initial prices on most of this stuff is higher than the final sale price on most items. The numbers required to get any significant discount are outrageous.

As for most of your suggestions, some of 'em are in the queue...
Kris@WLP, local head honcho
www.wlpcomics.com
PLEEZ, ORDER THE PETER IS THE WOLF TPBs!
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/tpb.html
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Oh, nobody is as bad as Cafepress. :)

Postby Graphictruth » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Remember, you can actually set your own profit margin for individual sales - but the economics of bulk purchases with your own designs, yeah, you are right.

If you are talking event merch and only need one or two designs, have the cash and lead time, pre-printing is the way to go.

The real advantage comes out when you start using their templating features, or limited-edition runs. And of course, think of all the things you are NOT doing - packing, shipping, worrying about cash flow. It's really more of a model for website-driven sales.

And that's the perspective I'm thinking about it from - I have a lot of designs with very low per-design sales, since I'm primarily making the designs to illustrate my blog. In fact, sometimes my reaction is along the line of "You wore that? In public?"

Anyway, with regard to the acrylic designs, I've ordered them, and with the right art on them, those are ***really*** worthwhile. Try one. You can send it back if you aren't pleased.

Oh, and I almost forgot - You absolutely need at least one skateboard deck as your convention sign. :P I mean, via zazzle or however, but Peter on his skateboard is iconic.

Graphictruth
Just getting started

Return to Merchandise