[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
White Lightning Productions • View topic - Getting Started Again

Getting Started Again

Show off your art and stories here- but keep it out of the gutter!

Moderators: Kris@WLP, bar1scorpio, Codewolf

Getting Started Again

Postby YujinStudio » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:34 am

Well I finally got around to do some drawing. It's not much, but it's a start. I just did some concept sketches of a few characters. I've got a few ideas for some illustrations. I'm also kicking around an idea for a Shiroi comic about her getting not 1 but 2 prospective artists.

YujinStudio
Button popping

Postby YujinStudio » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:34 pm

Just trying out CS4. I'm experimenting with some new coloring methods. Trying to figure out how much I can do with only Illustrator. I'm impressed with it so far, but it can be a pain in the ass.
YujinStudio
Button popping

Postby ShiroiFAN » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:27 pm

Let me be among the first to tell you that this is some awesome stuff. You've got a good feeling for each character and a distinctive style. Naturally, I'd like to hear your idea for a comic, but I'm pretty sure the between the two of us, I'd loose :wink:

Good start, add to it if you please!
ShiroiFAN
Sweater stretching

Postby YujinStudio » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:02 am

Thanks, glad you like the stuff. I try to fit the features to fit the characters. Things like eye shape and even the way the hair flows helps define the attitude of the character. I'm still working out Shiroi's hair. I want to make it look fluffy like how DarkZel does it.

While I'm not knocking my art, I do have issues with it. The main thing is that when I started to do anime art I studied Ken Akamatsu's art (Love Hina, Negima). In the time between Love Hina and Negima I started to break off on my own path, but the fact is that my art still resembles his. When Negima came out I could see my original characters in his art. Even though it's not intentional, his influence is obvious in my art. Looking at the front view of Chichi makes me think of Nodoka from Negima. There are subtle differences in our art. Also there are some thing I don't do like the hair antennae (Shiroi is the exception due to the three points from the original design).

The idea for the comic is just a one-shot story. It's not going to be an official thing so it is something I'm going to work on myself. It is inspired by your "Wouldn't it be Nice" strip. I'm just using what's been going on in the boards. Basically it's Shiroi getting the good news of getting an artist (you). Then after a while me "coming back" after learning there's plans for a Shiroi comic (since I did the contest I'm setting it as Shiroi knows me from then). I haven't really thought of an ending other than Shiroi being ecstatic about having two artists competing for her.
YujinStudio
Button popping

Postby Catherine_Puce » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:26 pm

Catherine_Puce
Huge tracts o'land

Postby YujinStudio » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:59 am

Hi Catherine. Part of why I've been trying to do more Shiroi art is because there's nothing of her. I'm starting to get some ideas. The only problem is that I'm out of practice. I need to get back into the habit of drawing. If you're interested in some art tips, I'm working with ShiroiFAN in the All Ages board. The best advice I can give you is to find a system that'll allow you to stay consistent. And of course practice, practice, and more practice.

Anywa I was messing around today trying to figure out Shiroi's hair. I've come up with a few different ideas. Although that just led me back to the original design. I'm open to suggestions on which looks better.

The upper right and lower left were drawn from the Mitsuki figure for practice.
YujinStudio
Button popping

Postby ShiroiFAN » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:03 pm

The nice thing about this thread is I don't have to follow the "no art, no post" policy, but I thought I'd check if outside art was even welcome on this thread.

How do you guys feel about "Alternate Dimension Shiroi"s? See, I've been racking my brains trying to come up with plot ideas that will allow Shiroi to have most of the spotlight, but I don't know many single character stories and the side characters keep taking up the spotlight or otherwise forcing Shiroi to play roles that aren't natural for her.

With more than one artist, however, we could have more than one version of Shiroi. Alternate Shiroi's would give us some room to experiment with the character until we can agree on true interpretation. It also gives us a convenient "reset button" if something goes wrong in the character creation portion of the game.

The new hairstyle looks good, but I wouldn't be able to draw it myself, especially on a regular basis. The pilgrim dress is just perfect for Shiroi, but again, I'm not sure she'd let Shiroi struggle with the giant turkey breast. On the one hand, yes, on the other hand, she wants to be helpful, and it'd be easier if we could just do both. What do you think?
ShiroiFAN
Sweater stretching

Postby YujinStudio » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:31 am

Glad to hear you liked the design. I took me a while to be able to visualize it. What helped was trying to draw the hair from the doll. I analyzed the different angles and just did a quick figure sketch. That really helped get how to do her hair. From the beginning I knew that her hair spiraled. But looking at Shiroi's source it seemed like it did some weird double helix. I pictured it wrapping around like a phone cord. It was just a matter of going from the back of her head into the spiral that screwed me up.

Learning to do her hair is probably something you want to work on. Granted in the end it's up to Kris on whether he lets you do it your way or not. Since you're trying to work with someone else's character you should try to keep distinguishing characteristics as close as possible. Your welcome to use any of my work as a reference if you want.

As far as doing your own comics is concerned, feel free to do what you want. Anything that either of us do is just going to be considered a guest comic. You're ideas are just as valid as mine so don't think I'm going to stop you from doing anything. My idea is more of a behind the scenes type story. I don't have anything other than that at the moment. If you have an idea for a full story, go for it.

To be honest, I haven't put a whole lot of thought in her character. For the most part I just see her as an ordinary girl. I see her as being cheery, energetic, and nerdy. I'm using the Chichi-chan comic a little for a base as well (the whole comic not just the part Shiroi is in). The idea that they're "real people", but since it still is a comic there's room for a little non-realism to pop in. I have an idea based on that concept. Not sure yet if it's going to be a single illustration or if I'll make it a 4-panel comic. The idea is that I'm sitting around (probably playing a video game) with her looming over me (only half drawn) complaining that she's only half drawn.
YujinStudio
Button popping

Postby YujinStudio » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:26 pm

I haven't posted anything in a while, so I decided to do a quick sketch. I'm still working on coloring the Thanksgiving Shiroi sketch. It's a little frustrating because I'm trying to do something new and I'm having a little trouble. I've also been thinking of doing a Christmas drawing, but can't visualize anything at the moment.

After reading this weeks Chichi-chan I thought I'd take a whack at drawing WLP-tan. I enjoyed working on this. She seems like a fun character to draw. Has a color scheme been decided yet?

YujinStudio
Button popping

Postby YujinStudio » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:28 pm

I'm still not done with the Shiroi Thanksgiving piece. But I posted an update of it on my DA account.

http://yujinstudio.deviantart.com/art/S ... -149020489

I happened to draw a couple of my own characters and decided to show their evolution over the years. I'm thinking of reviving the comic I was working on and have been trying to update and redesign my characters.

http://yujinstudio.deviantart.com/art/A ... -149473928
http://yujinstudio.deviantart.com/art/S ... -149477028

YujinStudio
Button popping

Postby YujinStudio » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:42 am

YujinStudio
Button popping

Postby YujinStudio » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 am

I've been doing some drawings lately. Still working on fleshing out the characters. I'm also working on my style. After doing some drawings I realized that I wasn't liking the proportions. Here's a few concept sketches I did before the change.

http://yujinstudio.deviantart.com/art/S ... -152467402
http://yujinstudio.deviantart.com/art/S ... -157802486
http://yujinstudio.deviantart.com/art/A ... -157802702

I've had some ideas for some Macross fan art. Here's a practice piece of Misa Hayase.

http://yujinstudio.deviantart.com/art/M ... -158170907

While I was at it I did a couple drawings of Chichi and Shiroi. The March Gladness competition gave me an idea for a couple quick drawings. I'm rooting for Shiroi, but it doesn't look good for her in the 2nd round.

ImageImage

YujinStudio
Button popping

Postby YujinStudio » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:20 am

Thanks to Bosch I felt like drawing some of the Milkmaid characters. I'm gonna do one of him but haven't got to it yet.

While I was at it I came across something in the deep recesses of my hard drive. It was the entry I made for the Milkmaid contest. I learned of the contest too late and didn't get it submitted in time.

YujinStudio
Button popping

Postby CK01 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:42 pm

CK01
Mountain climbing

Postby YujinStudio » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Thanks CK01. I tried to keep them close to the original. Though I actually used Jacob Blackmon's version of Karen for reference. I liked the way he drew her a little more.

So anyway I got did some sketches of Bosch. Hope he likes 'em.

YujinStudio
Button popping

Postby Bosch Parano » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:15 pm

My god... Its so beautiful... Wait... Rule #2 was broken I lost my hat... For shame... Shaundakul, why have you forsaken me?

Dude I love it... Ya made your own style of my outfit really but you did me justice.
Bosch bored... Bosch rip Bosch own head off! Rrraaawwwrrr!!!
Bosch Parano
Huge tracts o'land

Postby YujinStudio » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:55 pm

I'm glad you like it. I didn't know about the rule about your hat, so sorry about that. The one in the upper left was just a concept sketch to get your face down. The one on the right was to show that I can draw crazy drunks. I didn't include the hat since it would cover your face. In hindsight I could have had it tipped up.

YujinStudio
Button popping

Postby Bosch Parano » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:03 am

Ah now your thinking. Believe it or not I have a weird shaped hat like an arrow head... And I pointed the brim down to cover my eyepatch and leave my right eye in plain view.

And dude I was shocked when I saw the work... Ya'know I was joking bout drawing me... But since ya did it... If you wanted to do artwork of comics I've given you my blessings... Lol lets make our own comic with hookers... Blackjack... Bosch... And uh... Samurai?
Bosch Parano
Huge tracts o'land

Postby YujinStudio » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:25 pm

I know you were just kidding. Unfortunately sarcasm doesn't translate very well in type. Doesn't matter though I enjoyed doing it. A comic with hookers and blackjack sounds good. In fact, forget the comic.

That aside I'm working on coloring the drawings of Karen and Martina. I've got Karen done and gonna start on Martina soon. I have only one question, what are everyone's eye and hair colors. I looked all over the site and couldn't find anything for the characters that don't have colored versions.

YujinStudio
Button popping

Postby Kris@WLP » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:08 pm

Kris@WLP, local head honcho
www.wlpcomics.com
PLEEZ, ORDER THE PETER IS THE WOLF TPBs!
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/tpb.html
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby CK01 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:18 pm

CK01
Mountain climbing

Postby YujinStudio » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:59 am

I could have swore that that info was somewhere as well. In any case I've made the changes to Karen and finished up Martina. I had always pictured Karen as a blond. I was looking for a hair color chart when I came across a picture of a woman with the hair color I originally picked for Karen and thought it was perfect.

YujinStudio
Button popping

Postby CK01 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:00 am

Wow, very nice to see them in full color :)
CK01
Mountain climbing

Postby Bosch Parano » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:31 pm

Woot agreed colored = awesome.

fyi new avatar, should look fimilar.
Bosch Parano
Huge tracts o'land

Postby YujinStudio » Thu May 20, 2010 1:25 am

'Tiz a snazzy avatar Bosch.

Just a small update. Been doing a lot of experimenting with Illustrator and Photoshop. The main thing I'm messing with is to make photos look hand drawn. I used a picture of my old high school to try it out.

YujinStudio
Button popping

Next

Return to Creativity R We