[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
White Lightning Productions • View topic - VOTE (not a poll): 50 Greatest FICTIONAL Cities

VOTE (not a poll): 50 Greatest FICTIONAL Cities

For those times when you just have to yammer. Use this for posts that don't belong anywhere else.

Moderators: Kris@WLP, bar1scorpio, Codewolf

VOTE (not a poll): 50 Greatest FICTIONAL Cities

Postby Kris@WLP » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:36 pm

So, I flipped through this Fark-thing here:

http://www.complex.com/city-guide/2011/ ... l-cities#1

And I'm annoyed. A lot of the picks- the island from LOST? Or Myst? Valhalla? HEAVEN?- don't really count as cities. Yet they don't make it broad enough to say, "50 Coolest Fictional PLACES," now do they?

Still, it provides me an idea to give the boards a bit of a game. Why don't we come up with our OWN list of coolest cities?

So, here's the rules. Voting is by SECRET BALLOT- that means DO NOT POST YOUR VOTES HERE. Otherwise some posters will say things like, "I like those, but here's some nobody's mentioned," and we'll get ten kazillion one-vote wonders and no multiple-vote picks.

Vote by sending me a PM through the board system. Vote for FIVE DIFFERENT CITIES (no more, no less, please), and list what show/book/game they're from. Periodically I'll post in this thread with updates on the standings.

To qualify, cities must:

* not be from a WLP project (no Woodville, Capitol City, or the-town-with-no-name-Peter-lives-in)
* have a name (it can't be an anytown-USA only distinguished by having the characters living there)
* NOT be an actual existing city, or a city which existed in the past (Neo-Tokyo is OK, but Deadwood, Dakota Territory is not)
* be, to some minimal extent, a center of population, as opposed to a geographical or geological region. This can be anything from Metropolis down to Mayberry, but it can't just be farmland or a gas station in the middle of nowhere. NO counties, NO islands (unless "island" is part of the town's name).

Feel free to discuss whether (a) certain cities are cool, and (b) whether/how bad the slideshow linked above got things wrong.

To start things off, here are five cities from fiction (various sources) I think are cool in certain respects which the list entirely omitted:

* Ankh-Morpork (Discworld)
* Coruscant (Star Wars) (hey- it's ALL ONE BIG DAMN CITY, so it counts)
* Ponyville (MLP: FiM)
* Minas Tirith (Lord of the Rings)
* Mayberry (Andy Griffith Show)
Kris@WLP, local head honcho
www.wlpcomics.com
PLEEZ, ORDER THE PETER IS THE WOLF TPBs!
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/tpb.html
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Re: VOTE (not a poll): 50 Greatest FICTIONAL Cities

Postby Kris@WLP » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:41 pm

Also note: those five are NOT my vote. I'm going to wait a bit and see what develops.
www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby cawsking555 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:56 pm

caws list

nerima from ranma 1/2
jusenkyo ranma 1/2

for all tenses and perspires im going with jusenkyo land of amazons phoenix clan and curses hotsprings of the drowned were wolf or girl
Migi! Yame nasai! Sore wa oroka da. Hijō ni oroka na tashika ni! Chotto ii aidea toshite, ima anata ga tada oroka na ensō; kuria OUT o, LOT pōrando no anata no iru ofu kaishi!
cawsking555
Mountain climbing

Postby Kris@WLP » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:53 pm

www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby Kris@WLP » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:18 pm

First update: three voters thus far, one of whom didn't use all his votes.

No duplicates, so currently one vote each for all of the following:

* Perfection, NV (Tremors)
* Sigil (City of Doors)
* Omelas (from the story by Ursula K. Le Guin)
* The Village (The Prisoner)
* Babylon 5 (yes, space stations count)
* Toontown, CA (fictional suburb of Los Angeles) (Who Framed Roger Rabbit?)
* Little Tall Island, ME (Dolores Claiborne; would this count as part of Castle Rock? I don't read King if I can help it)
* Rabanastre (FFXII)
* Athlum (The Last Remnant)
* Rapture (Bioshock)
* Appleloosa (MLP: FiM; I guess that hard sell their Chamber of Commerce gives newcomers works)
* Gungan City (Star Wars: the Phantom Menace)

More votes, please, and feel free to go to that Fark article thing and look through the list for ideas!
www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby bar1scorpio » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:43 pm

Arkham, Mass. (It's got a college!)
Lawndale (Daria)
Macross (any continuity)
"Then again, I'm Gary Busey. Who knows what the f-ck I'm talking about." - Gary Busey
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby Happygun » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:34 am

Actually, Sigil is from the Dungeon and Dragons 2nd. ed. setting Planescape. The City of Doors is just another name for Sigil.
Happygun
Violating the law of gravity

Postby stormydragon » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:46 am

stormydragon
Mountain climbing

Postby Azathoth » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:08 pm

Aww... I didn't even think about good old Arkham or Innsmouth Ma for my list... Maybe even Dunwich... can't believe I forgot HPL...
Love and Lovecraftian Thoughts,
Azathoth
Azathoth
Just getting started

Postby stormydragon » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:33 am

stormydragon
Mountain climbing

Postby Kris@WLP » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:07 pm

www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Return to W., C., B., B. & M., L.L.C.