[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
White Lightning Productions • View topic - It's a living

It's a living

For those times when you just have to yammer. Use this for posts that don't belong anywhere else.

Moderators: Kris@WLP, bar1scorpio, Codewolf

Re: It's a living

Postby Happygun » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:49 am

I can now say this with full conviction.

San Francisco is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live (t)here.

Rent is just as absurd as the media makes it out to be. A crappy single bedroom apartment will easily run over $3,000/month. An apartment downtown? If you have to ask you can't afford it. Traffic is bad but parking is even worse. Public transport is so-so and occasionally horrid. Everything here is expensive, inconvenient, crowded and worn-down.

In ten years only tech-bros, wealthy hipsters, foreign investors and townies with rent-controlled apartments will actually live here. They can keep it. Sorry, but I am not leaving my heart in San Francisco.
Happygun
Violating the law of gravity

Postby Happygun » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:59 pm

...So, yeah. It turns out I don't have a job after all.

No, I wasn't fired on my first week. I don't want to go into the details of what happened beyond saying it turned out the CEO of the company I was going to work for has a criminal background. As in, he recently embezzled $37,000 from a local school, among other things. I'm not in any trouble, I'm not at fault (beyond perhaps failing to do a bit more research on the employer), there's no chance of me being arrested, but the job in Sacramento did turn out to be a bust.

I'm still moving back to Sacramento this Friday and will be staying with my parents. Again. They're more than happy to let me stay with them, but I can't help but feel like a bit of a failure. I have a Ph.D. in a hard science with five publications, three of which I am first author, and two years postdoctoral experience and I can't find a job.

This is the new job market, folks. This is the new economy.
Happygun

Postby Ganthan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:10 pm

Get to work on making the Sexy Catgirl Housemates and you'll be on easy street. I'd happily pay top dollar for a six and a half foot anthro lioness with beach ball breasts and can bench 500 pounds to serve as my personal housekeeper, guardian and snoo snoo toy. I can't think of any way that would turn out bad.
I believe in no God, no invisible man in the sky.
-Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

...and don't forget the ponies.
Ganthan
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby Happygun » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:30 pm

Happygun

Postby Happygun » Sat May 21, 2016 4:06 pm

...And now I finally have a full-time Research Associate position at company in a location I like. What do I do? It's an agritech business that tests grapevines and other crops for diseases; we're close to Napa valley, so there' s quite a bit of demand for this service. I test samples and help develop new assays and disease resistant crops.

So, whenever you get drunk, you're welcome. 8)
Happygun

Postby bar1scorpio » Thu May 26, 2016 11:32 pm

That's great news for us lushes. (okay, I don't drink wine.. or beer... I dig the occasional Hard Cider, though)

I would have put this more simply, but the chat doesn't have a "Like" button on comments.. or +1... That's a problem with furaffinity as well.
"Then again, I'm Gary Busey. Who knows what the f-ck I'm talking about." - Gary Busey
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Previous

Return to W., C., B., B. & M., L.L.C.