[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
White Lightning Productions • View topic - Advice for con attendees and organizers

Advice for con attendees and organizers

For those times when you just have to yammer. Use this for posts that don't belong anywhere else.

Moderators: Kris@WLP, bar1scorpio, Codewolf

Advice for con attendees and organizers

Postby Happygun » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:55 pm

This question is primarily directed at Kris, though if anyone has any insight to offer, please post away.

I've attended a couple of gaming, anime and comic book conventions in my time. Once I was even an exhibitor. I pooled together some funds and set up a small booth at a local gaming con, hoping to promote and sell my company's table top RPG. By the end of the weekend we hadn't sold a single copy. In retrospect the organizers really didn't seem that interested in supporting the exhibitors. They didn't clearly mark the location of the dealers' room, didn't print up a list of dealers, offer much in the way of ads, etc. Or perhaps I just wasn't good at drawing in customers. I wasn't the only frustrated dealer, that much I know.

I've also heard quite a few horror stories from both the perspective of dealers and attendees (the infamous Dashcon, for example). So it seems a lot of planning, skill, and organization needs to go into a successful convention. There are also probably some tricks to being a successful dealer. As a convention veteran, what advice would you offer to people who want to organize a convention, those who want to be a dealer at a con and (to a lesser extent) people who simply attend them? The dos, the don'ts, etc.

If there isn't already a book or e-book on this subject, someone ought to write it.
Happygun
Violating the law of gravity

Re: Advice for con attendees and organizers

Postby Ganthan » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:31 pm

There's a thread in the Dumb Questions forum where Kris gives quite a lot of advice on con dealing. It may not answer some of the more specific questions you're asking but it may still provide some insights.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2987
I believe in no God, no invisible man in the sky.
-Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

...and don't forget the ponies.
Ganthan
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby Kris@WLP » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:35 pm

There are actually a couple of conventions specifically to teach people how to run conventions.

I don't have time to do a full run on the subject now (or energy- it's taking all I have to work on today's PitW update). I will point out, though,that very, very few conventions bother to do a single thing to promote their vendors... and those that do try, usually don't do much good. We vendors consider ourselves lucky when we find a convention that doesn't treat us with outright contempt.
Kris@WLP, local head honcho
www.wlpcomics.com
PLEEZ, ORDER THE PETER IS THE WOLF TPBs!
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/tpb.html
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby Toast » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:39 pm

Toast
Bodice ripping

Return to W., C., B., B. & M., L.L.C.