Book 2 Update Imminent...

For discussion of the web comic!

Moderators: Kris@WLP, bar1scorpio, Codewolf

Book 2 Update Imminent...

Postby Kris@WLP » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:53 pm

Here's how things currently stand.

Many of you have asked, repeatedly, when the book is coming out. And I've told you that Ben Rodriguez, the artist, is working on updating the pages to make them print-ready in his minimal free time. However, the pages came very, very slowly... and work on the webcomic itself slowed to a crawl... and growing political differences between the artist and myself made communications more difficult by the day... and, by the end of 2016, I decided that the webcomic needed a new artist.

So Padunk was brought on board, and I asked Ben to send me the print-quality files for Book 2 (and also Book 3) without any further changes, so I could hire someone else to finish the work. And I waited... and waited... and nagged... and begged... and managed to get Chapters 6 and 7 from Ben, begrudgingly. One-third of the book in hand in seven months.

Then Charlottesville happened, and not to go into great detail now, but Ben's response to Charlottesville crossed a final line. It forced me to sit down and think, and to realize that four years of delays, and eight months of waiting for what should have taken a couple of days, had been excessive patience on my part.

Time to fish or cut bait.

On August 21, 2017 I sat down and typed the following letter to Ben Rodriguez:

Dear sir;

Enough is enough.

As of September 4, 2017, the Peter is the Wolf Book 2 IndieGogo will be four years old. For this fundraiser you made several suggestions for benefits to find the printing of the second book and committed to fulfilling the obligations of the project.

Those obligations, those promises to the fans who supported the project and whose art commissions and convention purchases have frequently put money directly into your pocket, have not been met.

The funders of the IndieGoGo project expected the book in print three years ago. This past January you were asked to turn over the existing print-resolution Photoshop files for Books 2 and 3 of Peter is the Wolf, as they exist, without any further modification, so that a colorist with more motivation and free time could complete the necessary work to prepare them for printing. That, and fulfillment of the sketch-edition obligations of the fundraiser once Book 2 is printed, is all you are asked to do. In light of the fact that you are slated to receive half of the fundraiser less expenses, and that you have already received $1000 of that fundraiser, I do not consider this too much to ask.

In the past eight months you have only turned over Chapter 6 and Chapter 7.

Enclosed find a new 64 GB flash drive, a padded envelope for its protection, and a Priority Mail envelope addressed to White Lightning Productions, postage prepaid.

Please copy the Photoshop files for Books 2 and 3 (including the Robin Hood and Japanese Emperor side stories) to the flash drive and return it to me via the prepaid envelope not later than September 6, 2017.

There is no excuse for further delay. Please fulfill your obligations so I can pay you the money you are due for your work as an artist.

And that very day I bought the flash drive, padded envelopes for the trip both ways, a postage-prepaid Priority Mail envelope addressed to me, and a large Priority Mail box which I used to mail letter, flash drive, envelopes and all to Ben Rodriguez. Four days later the box was received and signed for by Mr. Rodriguez himself; I have the signature card to prove it.

The flash drive should have been returned not later than two days later, given prompt action, but I allowed for interruptions, distractions and disruptions in the postal network. And good thing I did, because Harvey came and parked over my part of the country for five soggy days.

But today is September 11, five days after a generous deadline, and the return envelope has not arrived.

It is just barely possible that the envelope is still in the mail, so I'm not quite ready to make final decisions... but I know what the decisions will be now.

The future of this project has been in Ben Rodriguez's hands for the past four years. If you wish to ask him about Book 2, by all means do so. He goes by bar1scorpio on Twitter, DeviantArt and FurAffinity. I honestly do not believe it will do any good, but it won't make things worse, because things cannot get worse than they are now as regards the project.

And if I don't hear from him that the flash drive is on its way by next week... then I get to make another update.
Kris@WLP, local head honcho
www.wlpcomics.com
PLEEZ, ORDER THE PETER IS THE WOLF TPBs!
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/tpb.html
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Re: Book 2 Update Imminent...

Postby Happygun » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:47 pm

I posted the following message on Ben's dA account and his FA account:

"Your professional and political differences aside, could you please send Kris Overstreet the files he needs to finish Peter is the Wolf books 2-3? If not for him, then for the fans?"

I just received a reply yesterday:

"On it- sorta. Yesterday was a double shift."

Encouraging?
...Also, ponies.
Happygun
Violating the law of gravity

Re: Book 2 Update Imminent...

Postby Kris@WLP » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:09 am

Happygun wrote:I posted the following message on Ben's dA account and his FA account:

"Your professional and political differences aside, could you please send Kris Overstreet the files he needs to finish Peter is the Wolf books 2-3? If not for him, then for the fans?"

I just received a reply yesterday:

"On it- sorta. Yesterday was a double shift."

Encouraging?

No, not really. What that tells me is, as of Wednesday, the files weren't in the mail and wouldn't be until at least Thursday.

Today, as I type this, is Friday, and I've heard nothing directly from Mr. Rodriguez.

Final decision time is imminent.
Kris@WLP, local head honcho
www.wlpcomics.com
PLEEZ, ORDER THE PETER IS THE WOLF TPBs!
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/tpb.html
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Return to Peter is the Wolf