Pages 401 and 402, and news about Padunk

For discussion of the web comic!

Moderators: Kris@WLP, bar1scorpio, Codewolf

Pages 401 and 402, and news about Padunk

Postby Kris@WLP » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:27 pm

OK, I forgot to post a thread here for page 401.

And now page 402 is up...

... which will be Padunk's last.

You see, doing commissions for fur fans is Padunk's day job, and making a comic page takes enough time for four or five commissions. She had to make a choice between paying her bills and doing the comic... so, towards the end of December, she told me she had to bow out.

The comic will resume in February under the pen of Mischa Cel Frumos, an artist I've worked with on shirt designs and other things for quite some time now. I hope you like her work... which can be either really cute or really dark, and one of those is useful for where the story's about to go.
Kris@WLP, local head honcho
www.wlpcomics.com
PLEEZ, ORDER THE PETER IS THE WOLF TPBs!
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/tpb.html
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Re: Pages 401 and 402, and news about Padunk

Postby Nopewolf » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:25 am

You won't see me complain in the slightest. Thanks to Padunk for trying but holy shit today's page was painful to look at:

So lets get straight to the point because this silence has been ridiculous and I'm not just going to backdown as the traction my post got made it pretty clear that the others are tired of it too; you need to work on your communication skills.

This has been an issue over the years and not just a recent problem. "Oh well my computer..." yeah that's not exactly a great excuse when another user references your ability to post on Facebook but can't tell us anything for almost two months. This isn't the first time we've had horrific radio silence and you gotta work on it man.

This whole situation with Padunk should have been something we were informed of as soon as you two came to an agreement, and if this was just decided on then fine but stuff like this really shouldn't be the split second before a trade over.

For people curious about the newest replacement artist this is probably the closest to what we can expect to get art style wise: Image

Fingers crossed this doesn't go south. We already have old fans dropping out and I'm on my last legs as well, this comic was great when we all started reading in school but it's just sideways since the original artist was essentially kicked off the project.
Nopewolf
Just getting started

Postby Kris@WLP » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:44 am

Nopewolf wrote:So lets get straight to the point because this silence has been ridiculous and I'm not just going to backdown as the traction my post got made it pretty clear that the others are tired of it too; you need to work on your communication skills.

This has been an issue over the years and not just a recent problem. "Oh well my computer..." yeah that's not exactly a great excuse when another user references your ability to post on Facebook but can't tell us anything for almost two months. This isn't the first time we've had horrific radio silence and you gotta work on it man.

This whole situation with Padunk should have been something we were informed of as soon as you two came to an agreement, and if this was just decided on then fine but stuff like this really shouldn't be the split second before a trade over.

To give you a timeline:

Padunk asked to leave the comic about a week before Christmas. Before this point I thought the production bottleneck was just a temporary consequence of her commissions queue and the fact that the updates were currently two-page updates, but she told me the work load was too much for her to afford. She also offered to stay on long enough for a new artist to be found.

I contacted an artist whose living circumstances hadn't permitted her to take on the job last year. Those circumstances had changed, and she agreed. I decided to make the announcement with the next update, which would be, I was assured, before the new year. I chose not to announce Padunk's departure immediately because I wanted to minimize negativity, because I wanted to have the new artist lined up first, and because I wanted a clean transition from one artist to the next.

The pages didn't arrive until last Friday, and the goodbye pic not until Tuesday. Padunk's commissions queue was that badly backed up. And that left all of you hanging.

You're probably right that I should have said something sooner, but I'm always disinclined to speak when I have no good or satisfactory answers. And until this week's update art all came in, I didn't. I'm sorry for that, and all I can say is we'll see how things improve starting in February.
Kris@WLP, local head honcho
www.wlpcomics.com
PLEEZ, ORDER THE PETER IS THE WOLF TPBs!
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/tpb.html
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby Nopewolf » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:58 pm

Kris@WLP wrote:
Nopewolf wrote:So lets get straight to the point because this silence has been ridiculous and I'm not just going to backdown as the traction my post got made it pretty clear that the others are tired of it too; you need to work on your communication skills.

To give you a timeline:

Padunk asked to leave the comic about a week before Christmas. Before this point I thought the production bottleneck was just a temporary consequence of her commissions queue and the fact that the updates were currently two-page updates, but she told me the work load was too much for her to afford. She also offered to stay on long enough for a new artist to be found.

I contacted an artist whose living circumstances hadn't permitted her to take on the job last year. Those circumstances had changed, and she agreed. I decided to make the announcement with the next update, which would be, I was assured, before the new year. I chose not to announce Padunk's departure immediately because I wanted to minimize negativity, because I wanted to have the new artist lined up first, and because I wanted a clean transition from one artist to the next.

The pages didn't arrive until last Friday, and the goodbye pic not until Tuesday. Padunk's commissions queue was that badly backed up. And that left all of you hanging.

You're probably right that I should have said something sooner, but I'm always disinclined to speak when I have no good or satisfactory answers. And until this week's update art all came in, I didn't. I'm sorry for that, and all I can say is we'll see how things improve starting in February.

Just check in with us once in a while brother. We're your community, many of us for an extensive period of time, good or bad just make some small talk and let us know you're okay, what's going on with the comic, etc. If I check PITW's page every few days and you have some tidbit on how things are going I won't complain and I don't think many other people will either. If you have good or bad news post it regardless, I'd rather hear bad than never hear anything.

You got this.
Nopewolf
Just getting started

Postby matteso585 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:58 pm

Finally, an update.
matteso585
Button popping

Postby TimGee250 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:40 pm

I am sorry that Padunk didn't work out, but yeah, her artwork wasn't really suited for PiW as I see it. But, since she can drop PiW and pay her bills with what he has left, obviously there's no shortage of talent on her part.

If it were up to me, I'd be calling in Dirk Tiede, but from what I've seen of her work, I expect Mischa will do just fine, it's definitely higher quality than perhaps even Ben's had been.
TimGee250
Feeling strange

Postby Furelise » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:04 pm

Just popping in to see how things were working out. I had dipped out after the bar1 drought so I'm looking forward to diving back into allot of new conten... oh... Well, I'll check back next year!
Furelise
Feeling strange

Postby CmdrPowers » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:20 pm

Dammit, Kris! I really liked Padunk's work...but I completely understand and agree with her reasons. Thanks for finding a new artist so soon.

Kris, I can't criticize your decisions the way some people are doing. We meet often enough at conventions (coming to MechaCon?) that we touch bases fairly frequently. I'm a tad miffed that I have yet to receive book 2 (how many years now?), but I know it's coming. I completely understand that your priorities must be met or NOTHING comes our way. I wish people would get that.

One of the problems with long lag time is the lack of continuity. It's far too easy to drop story lines when you have months between them. I've been following PitW long enough that I do know the story and relish the glimpses into these character's convoluted lives. It's always very entertaining. I hope that your new artist will be able to keep up and that you will be able to keep up with them.

Your friend,

Scotty
"The best diplomat I know is a fully-charged phaser bank!" (Lt. Cmdr Montgomery Scott)
CmdrPowers
Sweater stretching

Postby AraChiya » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:14 pm

I said this was going to happen... Doing commissions is how I raise funds as well but I would have made damned sure PitW would have had priority since I offered my services to do it. I am extremely disappointed in Kris for not replying to any of my messages or samples... I can understand that you're pissed with BAR1 so you would have wanted the characters in the new artist's style but you never bothered to inform me of this. I could have easily have put the characters in my style and still made them look like the originals. The new artist is losing the manga style you claimed to want for your comics Kris or has that been thrown out the window too??? We would not have had the arguments that you and BAr1 had since it is your story and I am doing it as a commission. I am well know for working hard to get the work the way the commissioner wants it and I would have been able to stick with the original arrangement you had with Bar1 instead of being paid as a commission.
It happened twice now, you've lost two artists.. Will it happen a third time? Will I care the next time it happens? How many more fans did it cost you for that poor decision?
Well, I will continue with my own comics and commissions since you chose another artist after I made a slot available to do PitW (in reality I knew I was not going to be selected in the first place) so... should I prepare myself as another back up artist just in case or should I just forget about PitW completely and dedicate myself completely to other works?
AraChiya
Button popping

Return to Peter is the Wolf