[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
White Lightning Productions • View topic - So, how many people here have seen Teen Wolf?

So, how many people here have seen Teen Wolf?

For discussion of the web comic!

Moderators: Kris@WLP, bar1scorpio, Codewolf

You know, the '80's Micheal J. Fox movie?

Yup
85%
Nope
15%
Who's Michael J. Fox?
No votes

Total votes : 20

So, how many people here have seen Teen Wolf?

Postby Gildedtongue » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:58 am

And if you saw Teen Wolf, Too, well, I'm sorry you were put through that. The opening bit with the skatebord somewhat reminded me of that film, however, I don't think we'll see Peter as a basketball player any time soon.

Not that I'm at all complaining about the similarities. Quite the opposite. Most dark fantasy/were comics and stories are so dark and depressing and a lot of "Boo hoo I'm a werewolf. I'm gonna go sit and bemoan for years..." PitW takes a much lighter and happer approach to the whole aspect, making things seem natural and fun. Now, true, Sarah is flipping out, but, hey, she just got infected with lycenthropy, so it makes sense that she's a little... nervous.

Anyway, this looks to be a great comic. Keep up the good work!
Gildedtongue
Sweater stretching

Postby ProphetTenebrae » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:25 pm

ProphetTenebrae
Huge tracts o'land

Postby CK01 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:00 pm

CK01
Mountain climbing

Postby Crunch Jackson » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:05 pm

Crunch Jackson
Huge tracts o'land

Teen Wolf

Postby K-MacK » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:13 am

Possibly the worst Werewolf makeup was on an equally bad film called
"I was a teen-aged Werewolf". It starred Michael Landon (Little Joe from Bonanza) when he really was a teen.
Teen Wolf was, though, one of the few Friendly portrayals of the Werewolf. It makes one wonder: What is it about the Lyacnthrope that so stirs SmoothSkin fears? Wolves are one of the FEW naturally Socially Organized creatures....just like Man. Perhaps that's what stirs the fear: Fear of the Other that is Like us. Competition. Perhaps...superior? Now that would scare the stuffings out of some people.....
KMacK...
"You don't have to be invisible when everybody is looking the wrong way..."
Writing the series "Wulfen Blood"... getting ready for publication.
K-MacK
Violating the law of gravity

Postby Gildedtongue » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:10 pm

Okay... Yeah, so what if the make-up is bad. Then again, as a writer, I'm more interested in the story. It's pretty light hearted, which I like (I'm not going to name names, but there are certain "Were" web comics that are so full of angst and whining, I'm just wanting all the characters to die. Stupid immortality) and, yes, it doesn't show werewolves as a bunch of slobbering, mindless death machines. They slobber only on your sneakers.

Heh, guess this thread isn't good for an introductory post...
Gildedtongue
Sweater stretching

Angst and Werewolves:

Postby K-MacK » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:07 pm

Totally in agreement with Gildedtongue; Even the WebComics are full of Angst and Sturm when it comes to Werewolves. I suppose that part of that is the common Mis-Conception that Were's are somehow innately EVIL. This strip shows they aren't: and common sense says that Were's would likely BE more like this strip than, say, Underworld or White Wolf.
They are supposed to combine both Human (Were) and Lupan (Wolf); now both of these critters are Social and Adaptive. So, it follows that WereWolves would likely follow the path outlined in this story: blend in, keep your uniqueness hidden from everyone except, perhaps, a few friendly humans that are trusted by the Pack to keep quiet.
That has been the Historical model for other "special" groups in the past, and it has worked quite well in This World; so why not in PITW's universe?
As for the "Historical animosity between WereWolves and Vampires", I suspect it has to do with access to the Blow Dryer and the Makeup-people... :wink:
KMacK...
K-MacK

Re: Angst and Werewolves:

Postby Gildedtongue » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:30 pm

Gildedtongue
Sweater stretching

Slam White Wolf???

Postby K-MacK » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:50 pm

Not to get too off topic, but there is a common thread with all of the Big-Time WereWolf setups: They scream FAKE! THe only way these critters could keep up any sort of population is by forced Transition (transition from Human to "Lycan")...sort of a perverted draft system: your number came up, so you have to become a WereWolf. The idea of Families and Lineages is ridiculous, there are 'way too many males, and even as a WereWolf, children have needs that aren't provided in these scenarios.
Kris has, to my mind, come up with a sensible sort of WereWolf population: hiding in plain sight. Yes, it has been used before, but not to the believable degree that exists in Kris' universe; and it'll be used again, maybe by you, maybe by me, maybe by who-knows-who? It is a supportable, realistic setup, where WereWolves live side-by-side with non-mutated humans. "Don't ask, Don't tell" carried to the ultimate....and it would really work! That's the important part. Your neighbors could be WereWolves, and unless they chased your cat up a tree, you'd never know. Beautiful! White Wolf were's are, by contrast, a bunch of disfunctional psychotics that couldn't keep their existence secret if their lives depended on it. In PITW's world, the Government probably knows of WereWolves, and files their "Secret" in the "Why are they still bothering" file. AND That is the big difference! Vive le Difference!
KMacK...
K-MacK

Postby Kris@WLP » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:58 pm

This is already written for an "omake" between chapters 3 and 4, but in short: werewolves keep their nature secret because nobody much will hunt them down so long as it is common sense that werewolves don't exist. Lots of humans can know, so long as they know they won't be believed if they say anything. If it is ever proven that weres exist, then it's back to the days of the Dark Ages, when the Catholic Church hunted weres almost to extinction.

That's why Sarah and Peter are in danger of their lives; if Sarah can't be kept (so to speak) leashed, she has to be silenced to prevent her from causing enough damage to prove werewolves exist.

There's nothing particularly angsty about -being- a werewolf, in and of itself; the ups and downs are substantially different from being a human, but all things considered they balance out.
Kris@WLP, local head honcho
www.wlpcomics.com
PLEEZ, ORDER THE PETER IS THE WOLF TPBs!
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/tpb.html
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby CK01 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:31 am

I... I like angsty werewolves/transforming females :(

Why I like Sarah in fact :)
CK01
Mountain climbing

Postby Gildedtongue » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:22 am

Gildedtongue
Sweater stretching

Postby Kris@WLP » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:25 pm

Kris@WLP, local head honcho
www.wlpcomics.com
PLEEZ, ORDER THE PETER IS THE WOLF TPBs!
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/tpb.html
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby Gildedtongue » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:54 pm

Yeah, there are those that just need to be booted into the sunlight where we laugh as they burn to a crisp since they've never stepped out away from their computers. Then again, social interaction means they might accidentally breed, you know, by falling on someone whilst thinking of some sort of yiff picture.

Now, I am associated with the furry fandom. I tend to like the whole fuzzy animal thing, but at the same time, when I shut off my computer and go out and interact with that big blue thing called the world, heh, the fandom isn't the only thing on my mind. There's other things, like politics, philosophy, the weather.

I don't know where I'm going with this, I seem to just be rambling now. Darn professors! Always with their secret meetings to schedule their midterms on the same day!
Gildedtongue
Sweater stretching

scary fans

Postby Wizard_of_odd » Tue May 16, 2006 8:59 pm

We know them and we love/hate them (sometimes date them... :oops: ) Im talking about the "lost in their own head" fans (the kind who have WAY too much emotinal envestment in one aspect of "their life" to be productive or even sane...) thankfully the forums providerd here dont have too many like that. and the story provided in Peteris the wolf is believeable and genunely funny and cool ( I have friends who are not into the furry or "smut" scene who are regulsr readers of both formats...proof that good humor unites all people :lol: ) and thankfily it contains no self-loathing loafer-gazers, just likeable characters and good art/writting. :D
Wizard_of_odd
Mountain climbing

Return to Peter is the Wolf