[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
White Lightning Productions • View topic - Page 236 (7-6-2011)

Page 236 (7-6-2011)

For discussion of the web comic!

Moderators: Kris@WLP, bar1scorpio, Codewolf

Page 236 (7-6-2011)

Postby Kris@WLP » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:45 pm

Kris@WLP, local head honcho
www.wlpcomics.com
PLEEZ, ORDER THE PETER IS THE WOLF TPBs!
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/tpb.html
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby Happygun » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:12 pm

Happygun
Violating the law of gravity

Postby Henpecked » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:50 am

Not a huge fan of the Author Avatar dialogue provided by Carla at the outset. She's established she's atheist, and she understands that the shrine carries a lot of emotional meaning to someone who clearly needs emotional help - does she really need to bludgeon Butch with the "I don't begrudge anyone their fairy tales" comment?

That said, it's amusing if not a little sad to see Butch struggle to grasp the notion that her bedroom door locks. Wouldn't be surprised to find out that Gus wanted her readily accessible at all times.
Henpecked
Huge tracts o'land

Postby cawsking555 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:00 am

finely theirs logic to Rebecca.
Migi! Yame nasai! Sore wa oroka da. Hijō ni oroka na tashika ni! Chotto ii aidea toshite, ima anata ga tada oroka na ensō; kuria OUT o, LOT pōrando no anata no iru ofu kaishi!
cawsking555
Mountain climbing

Postby bar1scorpio » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:20 am

Girl, I'm gonna f*** you like Michael Bay f***ed my childhood memories.
"Then again, I'm Gary Busey. Who knows what the f-ck I'm talking about." - Gary Busey
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby Happygun » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:03 am

Happygun

Postby Fionn the Otaku » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:10 am

Fionn the Otaku
Bodice ripping

Postby Henpecked » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:15 am

Henpecked
Huge tracts o'land

Postby Kris@WLP » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:55 am

www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Re: Page 236 (7-6-2011)

Postby RBrigham » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:28 am

RBrigham
Mountain climbing

Postby Kris@WLP » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:41 am

www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby Happygun » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:13 pm

Meh, I like the Deist approach. Yes, there probably is a God of some kind, but he/she/it is beyond our reckoning and won't interfere in our lives at all, so we ought to be good people on principle (and because it tends to benefit society and ourselves) rather than doing it because some crazy guy with a robe and a cross is telling us we'll go to hell. Benjamin Franklin identified himself as Deist, and he was made of pure awesome.
Happygun

Re:

Postby Ganthan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:14 pm

I believe in no God, no invisible man in the sky.
-Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

...and don't forget the ponies.
Ganthan
Hyperspatial cleavage

Re: Re:

Postby Kris@WLP » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:30 pm

www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby chaotik74 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:11 pm

yeah....

not liking carla much at all. kinda hoping she gets some sort of comeuppance in the near future.

and is it just me or is therea rather annoying trend in this comic where all the guys are stupid or evil(and/or happily let the women in thier life run roughshod over thier egos), and all the women are wonderfully competant and all-knowing? True...Gus Cramer doens't fit that mold...and he's the VILLIAN of the piece. which jsut underlines the theme even more.
chaotik74
Just getting started

Postby Blackjoker » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:02 pm

Ok, I am an athiest and to be honest, yes, religion is a fairy tale. It was what primitive people used to help themselves understand the world and make sense of things. Religion has also been used to retard scientific advancement and as a cudgel to bludgeon women, minoirities, and those of other faiths. Religion is a way for people like Gus to rationalize brutal treatment of women and for a society to resist change because the all knowing thing in the sky told them to do X instead of Y. I saw her comment as being a bit harsh, but I can also understand it, and her comment that the idea that an all powerful being would willingly allow monsters like Gus to exist is admittedly a bit meh, but it is essentially a stripped down version of the argument of evil against the concept of an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibelevolent god.
One by one the penguins steal my sanity
Blackjoker
Button popping

Postby chaotik74 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:50 pm

ah yes...and SCIENCE has been peachy keen.

what amuses/annoys me most about blackjoker's stance is that if you believe in religion, you must believe in, and i quote:

"an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent god"

if anyone actually paid attention to the book, they might note that he is HARDLY omnibenevolent, has been known to lose his temper, change his mind, etc. Believing in god and religion does NOT mean believing that god is some sort of cross between Disney's Genie, Star trek's Holodeck, and an anthropomorphized white dude. (or black dude...sorry Morgan Freeman)

and as for people like Gus...sure, some people do corrupt religion to thier own selfish ends. others prefer to use more secular means. that's INDIVIDUAL PEOPLE at fault..not the religion. God may or may not be perfect. Part of that depends on what your definition of perfection is, and whether or not you REALLY believe that the universe was created solely for our benefit. (i personally doubt it was....doens't mean i don't believe in Creation) Also, virtually all religions, regardless of how they define the creator, admit that His creations are NOT perfect. In the bible He's listed as considering scrapping the whole project on more than one occasion.

I could go on and on about various philosophical points, but i'm not out to convert anyone....i'm simply venting my ire at how carla's character is basicly cramming her belief system down Butch's throat, using the spectre of her father as a metaphysical cudgel. while insulting her mother in a back-handed fashion. It's remearkably similar to "what people like gus would do" only using a diffrent figurehead.
chaotik74
Just getting started

Postby bar1scorpio » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:15 am

Before anyone gets too heated up over this... you also have to imagine that her atheistic views are regarded as a bit of an ironic joke among the pack. Surrounded by physics-shattering evidence to the contrary, she's going to deny the existence of the supernatural out of her senses of irritation and indignation.

And as for Carla & Nancy (Rebecca's mother). I'm not sure what history the three of them had; Sally, Carla & Nancy, but they're roughly the same age, and would have been competing for the same guys - Sally ended up with the local, it seems, while Carla & Nancy both ended up with outsiders.

And Carla may have suspicions, as she does with a great many things that go on in that little city... but no proof of what happened to Nancy.
"Then again, I'm Gary Busey. Who knows what the f-ck I'm talking about." - Gary Busey
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby Blackjoker » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:00 am

Blackjoker
Button popping

Postby Kris@WLP » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:27 am

Yeah, OK, this discussion is going to go downhill REALLY fast if I don't step in and stop it.

Discussing Carla's statements about religion, and comparing them to other characters, is OK. Discussing your own is less so. Discussing OTHER BOARDIES' religion is RIGHT OUT. Take any debate on religion other than PitW-related to the WCBBM board, please.
www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby chaotik74 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:21 am

grrr...

am i allowed to respond to this guys twisting MY words, and in the case of his last post, mostly repeating what i said right back to me?
chaotik74
Just getting started

Postby Travelerr » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:26 am

My goodness! It would seem that my lack of vigil has allowed a bit of a slide in things. Well we can't have that and with no further ado, and plenty of typos, forum talk with Travelerr!

First, there are two things that shall ignite the passion and flaming forum rages that shall make a four alarm fire seem like a birthday candle. Politics and Religion! While these can be handled safely at times, oh so often they end up becoming a massive Troll war. As this fine place has shown to have some good damn members with fine minds, respect others opinions. Sure maybe you think their full of cow pies! But hey, No one knows the great answers... And if they do? They aren't sharing.

Now as for the reference of the religion talk and why it was explained to Butch thusly?

This isn't like talking to someone who's had a normal life supporting parents and a vast input of knowledge. We've seen Butch's life through but a peek but its been mentioned flat out: Butch was abused. Much like my writing only even less pretty.
She was physically and mentally abused from likely day one. All her religious views, al her vies have been shaped by Gus's warped view of life. So for Butch it would have to be explained as such. She has to be shown there are options. Look how something so simple as a lock was cherished by her. its something you and I might take for granted but I assure you at some point Butch will be headed for a break down due to the realization of what she's endured.

Now when it comes to forum talk on Religion and Politics, instead of a scathing retort... Ignore it. At the end, we'll all die. some ones right, some ones wrong. Lets find out then, and until that time comes, enjoy each others company, avoid a flame war and in general have a blast. buy some shirts from these hard working mo fo's, some comics, hell buy my broke ass butt some Comics, hats, or goodies. Support the business, support the comic, spread the word and as always, keep it classy.

Now that the little talk of that over, I now must thank Whomever came up with that song for the love scene. It shall now be used whenever I find a lady friend to make the hippity dippity with. Inspired choice and hilarious.

Sure Peter wants a lil love making, but the more Primal side of weres (and Sarah) instinct is less sweet love and more "Fornicate this like it was headed for extinction." Now in the more human side of things its likely that might happen. But later dates, times, ect, ect. The Chapter is winding to a close, and we've still a howl a head of us, possibly for next chapter, possibly just mentioned in reference to keep us guessing only to be revisited later. We've Gus's actions, the father of the were, the nutty professor all of whom to take account for. How will it end? Who knows possibly a cliff hanger, possibly not. In the end? Keep coming back, enjoy the ride and like I said, support them how you can.

Cheers mates and keep it classy. This has been the Travelerr, and sorry if anyone got offended. Signing off and take it easy. I had to edit, so many typos...
I'm sure you're entitled to your opinion. The problem is I don't care.
Travelerr
Button popping

Postby Kris@WLP » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:37 am

www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby Ganthan » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:01 pm

I believe in no God, no invisible man in the sky.
-Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

...and don't forget the ponies.
Ganthan
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby Blackjoker » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:52 pm

I will apologize if I came off as a bit snippy or rude. I didn't intend to start a flame war or anything like that. I will also note that I did like the latest installment and am looking forward to more.
Blackjoker
Button popping

Next

Return to Peter is the Wolf