PitW's TVTropes Page

For discussion of the web comic!

Moderators: Kris@WLP, bar1scorpio, Codewolf

PitW's TVTropes Page

Postby Kris@WLP » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:15 pm

I'm working on a lot of different things, but there will be an update today as soon as I can get round to it.

In the meantime, since there was a massive update recently of the PitW TVTropes page, I thought I'd do a bit of a response and correction to some things I saw there.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/W ... rIsTheWolf

All Girls Like Ponies: I admit I was being a bit silly when I scripted Jean saying, "She turned me into a pony!" in Butch's second blueprint.

Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: To be honest, Sarah would have been a social pariah even with a more sane father. She's just socially awkward, exceptionally brainy, and a little CloudCuckooland when it comes to personal fashion.

Berzerk Button: I really don't believe either the French teacher or the college registrars (there were two different registrars) qualify here. It's more arrogance in the first case and callous petty sadism in the latter.

Big Eater: To be honest, we've only shown Sarah as consuming mass quantities, and that's because she has quantities of mass.

Constantly Curious / Genre Savvy: Since the capture squads are explicitly Punch Clock Villains, they don't get credit for having the ice cream their cover story requires. That was their bosses' planning at work.

Cool Old Lady: Mrs. Hewitt is aware of Butch's lycanthropy. She is emphatically NOT aware of werewolf hunters (or wasn't until now, anyway); otherwise the pack would have known what Lee looked like. If she knows the identities of any other lycanthropes, it certainly isn't many of them- possibly Carla and Jack, maybe Con, definitely not Peter and Sarah.

CloudCuckoolander: I've been trying to write Debbie, Lee, and most emphatically Juniper as CCL's, much more so than Prof. Feetlebaum.

Didn't See That One Coming: Actually, Con Nero was hoping for- even playing to get- for Murray's obstructionism. You'll notice Con is smiling as he walks away from Murray's final taunt.

Dramatic Irony: Feetlebaum's human-were student ratio this year is fifty-fifty. This is the first year it's been so, as it took a couple years for word of mouth to filter around the country that the parapsychologist had an assistant in on the Secret and willing to help.

Freaky is Cool: Those were all employees; Sarah hit just as breakfast was shifting to lunch, and there were no customers in the place at the time.

Meaningful Name: Actually, a lot of the cast members were named from characters from the Nero Wolfe mysteries, mostly with zero personality overlap between namesakes. The names were used simply because characters need names. Con couldn't be Nero Wolfe for obvious reasons, so "Constantine" was chosen as an appropriate name to give a member of the Nero family line. Other examples: Archie Goodwin = the Goodwin family; the surname Hazen pops up in at least two different Wolfe mysteries; Inspector Cramer (though the inspector, unlike Gus, is a straight arrow and a stalwart upholder of the law); and Sgt. Purley Stebbins = Juniper and Lee Stebbins.

Might Makes Right: Gus wants to extend this beyond the pack... to the entire world, with weres ruling over humans.

Our Werebeasts are Different: Yes, a bite IS always infectious, unless (as in the case of the elder Stebbins) the bite location is swiftly amputated.

Person as Verb: That was one of BAR-1's contributions. I've read nothing by Vince Flynn and never intend to.

Refuge in Audacity: Jean pretty much bases her entire life on this.

Well-Intentioned Extremist: Actually... the thrall wasn't among the dead...
Kris@WLP, local head honcho
www.wlpcomics.com
PLEEZ, ORDER THE PETER IS THE WOLF TPBs!
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/tpb.html
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Return to Peter is the Wolf