[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
White Lightning Productions • View topic - NEW ARTIST ANNOUNCEMENT

NEW ARTIST ANNOUNCEMENT

For discussion of the web comic!

Moderators: Kris@WLP, bar1scorpio, Codewolf

NEW ARTIST ANNOUNCEMENT

Postby Kris@WLP » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:29 pm

If you checked the new update, you'll see two things: artwork by our new artist PADUNK...

... and Patreon links, including to the one specifically meant to pay Padunk's bills.

https://www.patreon.com/PeterIsTheWolf

There are links to my Patron and Padunk's personal Patreon as well, but the one above is the one that will determine how frequently- or if at all- PitW the comic goes forward.

Anyway, what do you think of the new art style?
Kris@WLP, local head honcho
www.wlpcomics.com
PLEEZ, ORDER THE PETER IS THE WOLF TPBs!
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/tpb.html
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Re: NEW ARTIST ANNOUNCEMENT

Postby ShadowMage » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:44 am

* sigh * I'm not gonna lie, Kris.

It's not the same.

Don't get me wrong, I fucking love Padunk's art-- hell, I follow her on FA.

But it's just not the same. BAR-1's art style has been a major foundation of the comic since it first started. His style was one of the things that got me hooked on this comic to begin with. It practically defines the series at this point. Again, Padunk is an excellent artist. But nobody else can capture the unique feel that the series gets from BAR-1's art work.

Obviously, I'm still going to follow the webcomic. I'm not so picky that I'd drop the series altogether over a simple change of artist. But I'm probably not ever going to quite get used to the comic being done in Padunk's style. Even in the unlikely event that I DO, it's gonna take a very... very... very long time before it happens.

PS: If I could support the comic via Patreon, I would. But as it is, I own no credit cards, debit cards, or other mediums of currency which are accepted by online payment services. At the very least, I still support the comic as a loyal fan.
Whenever I see bar-1, all I can think is... how the f**k is it even possible to abuse Sierra Mist? I mean, maybe with AMP or Red Bull, but... what was I talking about?

Whoever said 'nothing's impossible' never tried slamming a revolving door.
ShadowMage
Button popping

Postby Bleech » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:14 am

So you've hit both stretch goals now and haven't said dick to your audience. THis is not a good way to keep a relationship with your patrons.
Bleech
Feeling strange

Postby Kris@WLP » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:18 am

www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby DarkGantros » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:53 am

Based on the single picture, Padunk may be able to pull off the furry portion of the artwork, if she can make her models a bit less curvy, if her FA gallery is any indication. But I'm concerned about the human characters, as the difference is very stark, the announcement picture showing human Sarah doesn't even remotely resemble her. Still, kudos on finding someone, losing an artist can kill most projects like this.
DarkGantros
Just getting started

Postby Furelise » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:14 pm

Have to admit I'm a bit curious about what bar1Scorpios reaction to all of this was. He's sort of like the Noman'sSky of furry comics... Goes completely dark when trouble brews with no communication at all. Course he's not on my good guy list. Nobody is that ruins my beloved comic lol. That being said I'll give Padunk a chance.. It's definitely not the same, but as long as it's consistent... Lastly, I noticed that Bar1scorpio still lists himself as the artist of pitw on furaffinity, deviant art, ect. Ect... Wonder if he plans on changing this. All due respect to bar1 as an artist, I just think allot of feathers were ruffled when people lost their weekly story time.
Furelise
Feeling strange

Postby rictor » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:49 pm

It's the dawning of a new day.

I will certainly miss BAR-1, as his art was a major aspect that made me a regular reader, but i am very curious to see what Padunk brings to the series. I've read thousands of comics and been through many an artistic change. Padunk's style is a departure from what we've grown accustomed, but oftimes radical departures have served to introduce me to new experiences, and appreciation of new skills and techniques. I look forward to Padunk's handling of the cast, and seeing her sequential storytelling skills as she immerses herself into this world.

It will also be great for things to get back on a schedule, and seeing the story reclaim momentum.
rictor
Just getting started

Postby Ganthan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:38 pm

Will the remaining Captain's Table pages be handled by Bar1 or Padunk?
I believe in no God, no invisible man in the sky.
-Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

...and don't forget the ponies.
Ganthan
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby Kris@WLP » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:18 pm

www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby Ganthan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:46 pm

I believe in no God, no invisible man in the sky.
-Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

...and don't forget the ponies.
Ganthan
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby Kris@WLP » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:44 pm

www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby DanteVael » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:28 am

Man, I really hate to say it, but the new art style just... It doesn't work. I'm sorry, but it in no way fits. Were this a mundane slice-of-life, yeah, it'd be fine. But when dealing with monsters and drama, you just need more detail. Sorry, man.

I love the comic, hell, I started reading around page thirty, but it's just not my thing. I will check the boards, probably annually, and if I see that you changed artists, I'll give it a shot, but until then, I'm just gonna reread the first couple issues.

Gonna skip this arc entirely, which sucks, because I was gonna start collecting the printed books, but man, I don't want to own the new style, like, at all. Don't know for sure what went down with you and Bar, and quite honestly, though I do care, that's between you two, but I'm hoping you get him back on board.
DanteVael
Just getting started

Postby Shadowcat » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:04 am

Well i hate to jump into the mix, but i must agree with the others. I have been following PITW since the first pages came out Kris and i understand that a new artist means a different style. Unfortunately, while Padunk is a talented artist, her style of artwork is coming off as just too cartoonish all the sudden and does not fit well with the story line or PITW at all.

I know you will probably say, "Dude she just started, give her a chance.", And i am willing to do just that, but if Padunk continues to draw PITW in the same manner as the last few pages, your going to lose your supporters real fast. Padunk shows a lot of promise and you can see it in the first three pages, they looked real good, the attention to detail was wonderful and i thought yes, she will fit just nicely if she continues to produce like that, then in the middle of the third page going forward her artwork seemed to go off the rails fast.

I know its difficult to find a artist willing to take time out of their busy and often hectic life to draw for someone else, sometimes when you can or do find someone to do whats needed, its even harder for a new artist to try to fill the shoes of a old one or to make a mark for themselves and win over a long standing audience. Im not sure whats going on or why, but imho Padunk needs to stop with the satarday morning scooby do drawings and get back to the way she drew on the first three pages or she will turn people off fast.
Shadowcat
Just getting started

Postby Armageddon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:12 am

I am loving the new artist she is so much more CONSISTENT in doing her end of the comic and getting it done on time such a refreshing change of pace and also liking the art style much cleaner can't wait to see her grow more into this as time goes on. And ya I been a long time follower but only just now made an account to let both you kris and padunk know love the new stuff.
Armageddon
Just getting started

Postby Okichobi » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:04 am

I have to ask, was Padunk really the best you could do Kris? I mean no offence but as vastly different from Bar's style as her work is I can't help but think you could have easily found someone closer to style or at least in a similar scope to his style. Coyotek comes to mind as someone who probably would have accepted for a bit of money and kept to an almost similar feel personally but in reality there are easily thirty to forty other artists out there you could have picked.

Lets shoot a dash of honesty here, Bar had the art style of a high schooler who got those "Lets Draw Anime" books back in Elementary School, sure his style eventually grew up but the majority of the comic was in the same low-key style. That was fine as a lot of us grew up alongside the comic. Padunk's style is squishy and exaggerated designs, it really doesn't fit in here.

Idk, maybe I'm just a salty fella but I feel like this decision might have been rushed for no reason, I mean it's not like we weren't already used to waiting LITERAL MONTHS for updates to the comic. If you had taken two to three months to find a new artist I think we wouldn't have so many upset people.
Okichobi
Just getting started

Postby Kris@WLP » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:46 am

Padunk's art style is nothing like Ben's, and she has little experience or practice in drawing comics instead of pinups or humans instead of furries.

But her pinup style is sound. She already works with themes similar to other WLP comics. She's motivated- even enthusiastic- about the project. We have compatible senses of humor.

Most of you are comparing Ben's 2016 art style with Padunk's when you should be comparing his 2005- or for that matter his 2001 (Bootleg #7) style. Ben has had a lot of time and practice to grow into the task. I firmly believe Padunk will grow into it as well...

... and in the meantime, we're only dealing with an occasional skipped week, instead of one-page-a-month-if-lucky. The almost-never-updating was about to kill the project completely.

Padunk is the choice. She's already better than many, and she will only improve. And in a few more pages I hope you'll see the reasons why.
www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby Okichobi » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:58 am

Okichobi
Just getting started

Postby Shadowcat » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:57 pm

I agree Kris that Ben's style was rough at first and over time became better, and i am optimistic that Paduncs will evolve over time as well. it is true that the page turn outs are coming much more frequently, which is also a refreshing change and you can see her enthusiasm in her art. Still, it can be hoped she can make the transition and settle into the new medium she is unfamiliar with. Its also true that long standing views are a unforgiving lot and you have to admit, right now the art she is doing is not fitting or sitting well with some. She does great with up close but her background is a bit too cheesy and cartoony. This is not ment to be discouraging or a cry to boot her, merely hoping to offering some constructive criticism of her work to date and offering a view from a different perspective then what may be perceived. I will take your words with a grain of salt Kris as i remain loyal to PITW as always and wait and watch with hope that she will come into her own in time, as i said she is a good artist with a lot of potential. Only time will tell.
Shadowcat
Just getting started

Postby Bleech » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:05 am

So are we getting that colorist or not?
Bleech
Feeling strange

Postby Kris@WLP » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:28 am

www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Return to Peter is the Wolf