[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
White Lightning Productions • View topic - Other were- species

Other were- species

For discussion of the web comic!

Moderators: Kris@WLP, bar1scorpio, Codewolf

Other were- species

Postby Observer » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:14 pm

I'm a new reader of PiTW, and I must say that its an interesting comic- however I find the pseudoscience behind the whole thing quite a bit more interesting than the actual comic (don't shoot me- unless its with silver. That stuff is worth quite a bit :P )

Now, lets get down to business: A few queries...

1. One question thats been bugging me is the list of were- species in the omake. From my impression of the series (and most pop culture about were- species) it seems inevitable that humans could be hybridized with just about anything, from bacteria (ok, unlikely, but still...) to blue whales.

So why stop at canine/ feline species and... sharks? There's a whole lot of other mammalian species that the list didn't mention and which would be more logical (to me at least) than sharks (not mammals). If thats the full list, and Kris is dead- set on keeping it that way, I'll drop the issue, but please tell me that the possibility of other were- species at least occurred...

I'll leave this point for now.

2. Has there ever been a comprehensive comparison of the physical characteristics of each species' were- forms? Logic would dictate, for example, that werefoxes would be superhumanly intelligent, wererats would have stomachs of iron (extreme omnivores) and werelions would be even stronger/ larger than werewolves, barring exceptions like Peter and Sarah (why are the main characters everywhere always exceptions, anyway?). Has anyone ever discussed the relative merits/ disadvantages of each were- form in detail? I know other threads have wandered into the territory, but there hasn't been a discussion or official material devoted to this matter as yet.

3. How are interspecies relationships between the were communities in Genericville besides the 'well documented' wolves & rats? Dr. Abe I know is close to the Genericville pack, but how about others?
Observer
Just getting started

Postby KindaChang » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:43 am

KindaChang
Sweater stretching

Postby bar1scorpio » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:28 pm

1) Because each species is based on apex predators for the environment from which they came. The 'top of the food change' it wouldn't do much good to be a were-whale, mainly because it'd be too taxing to take that form. Also, we tend to go with only what's already appeared in folktales & myths up to some point. hence, no were-spiders, were-rabbits, etc.

2) Nope. If we did, it'd be supplemental materials, and likely non-canon to our story. one of the going mantras is: if it hasn't happened in-series, it hasn't happened. Keeps from second guessing, hopefully; as well as keeping writer knowledge, reader knowledge, and character knowledge separate.

3) We've discussed hybrids elsewhere, they tend to take after the gender-match of he parent, not hybridize. (Carla's personal theory: part of the were-trigger may be attached to either the X-Y chromosomes, or the hormone baths that the child undergoes during pregnancy.)
"Then again, I'm Gary Busey. Who knows what the f-ck I'm talking about." - Gary Busey
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby Observer » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:31 pm

OK. VERY good answers for questions 1 and 2, and I'm satisfied. Once again you guys amaze me with the sheer complexity of the mythos you've set up here.

About the relationships, I was referring more to less... intimate stuff, you know, things like dialog/ visits between were species packs. That scene with the werelion and the tailor was definitely in Genericville as well, so werewolves aren't the only ones in the woodwork.

Are the various were communities in Genericville friendly with each other since they exist in close proximity? Sure, the werecats (all types) and wererats might be the minority but there's no way they can avoid rubbing shoulders with the werewolves. I would also find it hard to believe that the were community could maintain the masquerade unless all species worked together.

But... are they on good terms with each other? If so, how good are those terms?

Once again, I'm aware of Dr. Abe, but I'm not aware of incidences of wererats, etc. interacting with the Genericville pack.
Vampires are werebats. There's no other explanation :D.
Observer
Just getting started

Postby Spiritbw » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:48 pm

Spiritbw
Bodice ripping

Postby bar1scorpio » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:15 pm

"Then again, I'm Gary Busey. Who knows what the f-ck I'm talking about." - Gary Busey
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby Crunch Jackson » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:50 pm

Crunch Jackson
Huge tracts o'land

Postby Happygun » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:51 pm

Happygun
Violating the law of gravity

Postby Kris@WLP » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:19 pm

Kris@WLP, local head honcho
www.wlpcomics.com
PLEEZ, ORDER THE PETER IS THE WOLF TPBs!
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/tpb.html
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby Kris@WLP » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:35 pm

OK, inter-weretype relations...

One of the main points of PitW is that people are people are people, even when they get big, furry, and toothy under a full moon.

There is some prejudice between were types, mostly based on stereotypes. However, the vast majority of lycanthropes regard all lycanthropes as part of a single group- very much a we v. they situation, where "they" is normal humanity.

Werewolves tend to get on well with everyone. Werefoxes are the most sociable of all; werecoyotes less so, but still friendly. Wererats are sociable within their own circles, suspicious of strangers. Werecats tend to dislike being placed under authority, but get along quite well in one-on-one or small-group situations. Werebears are highly antisocial and don't get on well with much of anybody. Were-tanuki tend to get on well with others except for were-foxes, who annoy them. Were-sharks are so rare that the question of their socializing with other types of lycanthope very seldom arises.
Kris@WLP, local head honcho
www.wlpcomics.com
PLEEZ, ORDER THE PETER IS THE WOLF TPBs!
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/tpb.html
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby K-MacK » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:20 pm

KMacK...
"You don't have to be invisible when everybody is looking the wrong way..."
Writing the series "Wulfen Blood"... getting ready for publication.
K-MacK

Postby Timberwolfer » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:21 am

I'm starting to sound like a broken record. If you find that manner of legends and mythos mixed with pseudoscience interesting, I recommend trying to find a copy of Werewolf the Apocolypse, it's an RPG made by White Wolf Games. They've sinced changed to a new game series, but you can still find the older stuff some places.
-I don't suffer from INSANITY, I enjoy EVERY minute of it!
Timberwolfer
Button popping

Postby Happygun » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:58 am

Happygun

Postby Observer » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:05 am

Observer
Just getting started

Postby RBrigham » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:14 am

RBrigham
Mountain climbing

Postby bar1scorpio » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:16 pm

bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby K-MacK » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:12 pm

KMacK...
"You don't have to be invisible when everybody is looking the wrong way..."
Writing the series "Wulfen Blood"... getting ready for publication.
K-MacK

Postby Observer » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:11 pm

I'm assuming that her wuff isn't completely out of her control, unless that little 'shoulder Sarah' and her "sic'em" were just for laughs.

I guess that it will come to a point where all she needs to do is figure out where a certain Mr. Banner gets his purple pants. When that happens, can you imagine her laying the smackdown on Gus, hard? I'd think her very capable of it since she's completely of of touch with pack law, and since Gus wanted her put down anyway.
Observer
Just getting started

Postby Happygun » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:22 am

Happygun

Postby Les » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:05 am

Les
Huge tracts o'land

Postby Happygun » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:57 am

Happygun

Re: Other were- species

Postby Rasha » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:35 am

Rasha
Just getting started

Re: Other were- species

Postby Travelerr » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:13 pm

Actually this was covered a bit in another thread, to lazy to check and link. Have a yard to mow.
I'm sure you're entitled to your opinion. The problem is I don't care.
Travelerr
Button popping

Return to Peter is the Wolf