[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
White Lightning Productions • View topic - The My Little Pony: Frienship Is Magic Thread

The My Little Pony: Frienship Is Magic Thread

For those times when you just have to yammer. Use this for posts that don't belong anywhere else.

Moderators: Kris@WLP, bar1scorpio, Codewolf

Re: The My Little Pony: Frienship Is Magic Thread

Postby Happygun » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:17 pm

Lauren Faust said she based the mane six off the classic romance genre heroines.

Twilight Sparkle is The Librarian
Pinkie Pie is The Free Spirit
Applejack is The Boss
Fluttershy is The Nurturer
Rainbow Dash is The Crusader
Rarity is The Waif

So...you're a free spirit and a crusader. Hmm.
Happygun
Violating the law of gravity

Postby Ganthan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:34 pm

I believe in no God, no invisible man in the sky.
-Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

...and don't forget the ponies.
Ganthan
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby Ganthan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:29 pm

MLP Read it and Weep

Yeah, I'm not even gonna bother posting a link considering it'll probably go down in a week or so. Just copy/paste the above into a Youtube search, bam, profit.

Wow, pony bones can heal up in a matter of days? I guess I should have expected that considering how fast Twilight recovered from her severe beating in Feeling Pinkie Keen. If it's your wing that's busted, I would think you wouldn't want to be laying on your back so much.

I admit that the title of the book, "Derring Do and the Quest for the Sapphire Stone" made me think of Harry Potter initially, but quickly realized that it was actually more like Indiana Jones. Seriously, a death trap is gonna have crushing spike walls, spiders, snakes, AND the room is gonna fill with quicksand?!

I really want to try playing that board game that Twilight and Fluttershy brought over. "You rained on my cumulus. You found my seagull. You zapped my weatherpony. You stung my bumblebee. Oh, my Thunderbolt. Oh, there's my last cloud. You win. Kthnkxbai."

It's also nice to see that Ponyville General Hospital has a psyche ward complete with barking mad ponies. I wonder how much use that room gets around that place?

Also, since when did Pinkie Pie move out of Sugar Cube Corner? Did Pumpkin and Pound's middle-of-the-night screaming and crying finally make her go, "Okay, screw this! Mr. and Mrs. Cake, I'm getting my own place now. Kthnksbai."
-Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Ganthan
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby Happygun » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:44 pm

READ A BOOK! READ A BOOK!
READ A MOTHER-BUCKING BOOK!
READ A BOOK! READ A BOOK!
READ A MOTHER-BUCKING BOOK!
Happygun

Postby bar1scorpio » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:01 pm

So why didn't they just use Battleship by name? Both are currently owned by Hasbro, which bought out Milton Bradley...
anyone notice the reference to The Great Escape?

So, a pony Doctor has a medical readout works in Osteology -

What would be the Cutey Mark for a Doctor of Psychology?

Image of a Brain? Image of Sigmund Freud? Image of his Mother?
"Then again, I'm Gary Busey. Who knows what the f-ck I'm talking about." - Gary Busey
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby Kris@WLP » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:59 pm

Kris@WLP, local head honcho
www.wlpcomics.com
PLEEZ, ORDER THE PETER IS THE WOLF TPBs!
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/tpb.html
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby Happygun » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:15 pm

NSFW for naughty language, violence, gore, and wing-boners.

Dear Princess Celestia,

Today I learned that if somepony tells you to stay out of their shed, you should stay out. Seriously.

-Twilight Sparkle
Happygun

Postby bar1scorpio » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:44 pm

So... "Derpy Hooves" official name is "Ditzy Do".

Rainbow Dash recently read a book centering on a mare named "Daring Do".

Are they related?
"Then again, I'm Gary Busey. Who knows what the f-ck I'm talking about." - Gary Busey
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby Happygun » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:39 pm

Happygun

Postby bar1scorpio » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:42 pm

I figured they're both her name. Ditzy Do being her given name, "Derpy" (sans hooves) being Rainbow Dash's nickname for her.
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby Ganthan » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:08 pm

Personally, I preferred the name Ditzy. Making her canon name Derpy is just them giving in to the fans. Ultimately, though, "Ditzy Do" wasn't quite established as a name since, as you said, the pegasus in question wasn't in view at the time. A little bit later, the pegasus that did finally return with the Southern Birds was basically Derpy but with a purple mane and tail.

I've noticed that the animators are REALLY lazy with the background ponies. I've seen clones in the same shot, species changed around, not to mention the constant voice changes. Bon Bon has spoken four times and had a different voice each time.
-Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Ganthan
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby Happygun » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:30 pm

Well, keep in mind they put out a LOT of new episodes over a relatively short period of time. Even in Flash it takes a while.
Happygun

Postby bar1scorpio » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:43 am

I think many of the repeats & gaffes are also something of a "South Park Syndrome" doing an almost weekly show in a simple animation program. Does anyone remember how much the background kids looked alike in the first few seasons?

And... combining TWO of my current sad obsessions...

bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby Happygun » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:10 pm

Considering the fact this episode was leaked days before the premier, this is old news. Still...

Hearts and Hooves Day - Episode 17, Season 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox3MeeQ4Hys

I was disappointed by this episode. Partly because I couldn't get through the whole thing without cringing and partly because we saw almost nothing of the mane cast. It was painfully predictable, yes, but so are 90% of the episodes - I just feel like they could have done more with it. There are tolerable cutie mark crusader episodes and bad ones; this was a bad one.

Surprisingly few shipping opportunities, too - which is a good thing, actually.
Happygun

Postby bar1scorpio » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:13 am

All is forgiven with this episode for one line in the song... "Tubs of Jelly"... dear ghod... 10 years from now, that's some little kid's fetish. Dollars to donuts.
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby Happygun » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:16 am

Is it just me, or did the Jelly Horse pull a trollface during the song?
Happygun

Postby Happygun » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:54 am

This image was recently posted by Tara Strong - one of the VAs.

Dear G'hod. Now the TALENT is getting in on it. I'm...quite scared now.
Happygun

Postby Ganthan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:22 pm

MLP A Friend In Deed

Eh, this one I'm not so sure about. As much as I like Pinkie Pie I really didn't like her being so hyper, thickheaded and tactless throughout the episode. Not to mention the song was tooooo loooooong. Admittedly, there's no episode yet that I don't like and this is no exception, but this is definitely still gonna be ranked lower than usual.

I liked the continuity nods in this, such as the return of Pound and Pumpkin Cake and Rainbow Dash reading through the Daring Do series, but I'm still wondering about why Pinkie was sleeping in somepony else's house in Read it and Weep because in this episode she was back above Sugar Cube Corner. Well, I guess she was just having a sleepover at a friend's place.
-Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Ganthan
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby Happygun » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:54 pm

I thought this was kind of a meh episode as well, but pretty much everyone else in the fandom absolutely loves it. It felt too much like a throwback to the older series - full of happy-happy sugary-goodness dross where the villain is defeated by making friends with him, i.e. the sort of junk Lauren Faust wanted to AVOID when she created FiM.

And Pinkie Pie is...well, Cranky Doodle Donkey put it best: she's EXTRA special. I wouldn't be surprised if all of Equestria - Discord included - is just a product of her imagination a la Haruhi Suzumiya.
Happygun

Postby bar1scorpio » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:46 am

I think everyone loves this ep for the sake that the leaked song is in it.

Okay, and Derpy in a Snowglobe.... (Oh man.. ST ELSEWHERE ENDING...) Yeah.. at least she learned the lesson that sometimes your friend wants to be left alone... and Twilight and Rainbow were actually trying to tell her outright not to be so hyper in regards to Cranky.
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby Kris@WLP » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:16 pm

Kris@WLP, local head honcho
www.wlpcomics.com
PLEEZ, ORDER THE PETER IS THE WOLF TPBs!
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/tpb.html
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby bar1scorpio » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:33 am

Definitely at this year's MLP panel at YoumaCon... I'm breakin' out the Cider...
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby Happygun » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:35 pm

Considering what they got away with in Bridle Gossip, i.e., not-so-hidden racism and what happened to Twilight's horn...well, I kind of get the feeling the writers had lots of ideas for Hearts and Hooves Days but demurred went for the "safest" plot. I mean, the love poison...so many possibilities - accidentally dropping it in a punch bowl for one. Suddenly everypony in Ponyville is falling hopelessly in love with each other at random (regardless of gender!). Aside from being a shipper's wet dream* it would have been ab-so-lute-ly HILARIOUS.

*Maybe literally!
Happygun

Postby Ganthan » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:40 pm

I was impressed with Hearts and Hooves Day in how good a job they did avoiding potential raunchy sex jokes, probably because by that point the writers KNEW what kind of audience the show has now. The only time my mind went into the gutter, and believe me I was TRYING to get it there, was after the curse was lifted and Cheerilee decided their punishment should be to do Big Mac's chores for that day. At that point I thought, "Oh boy, and what are these two gonna do in the meantime?" Even that was dismantled with their bit of trolling at the end.

Overall I still liked the episode and I for one didn't find it too predictable. The lovey dovey baby talk was well written precisely BECAUSE it was supposed to be over the top mushy; even the CMCs were getting creeped out by it. I was okay with the CMCs successfully making a big Hearts and Hooves Day card for Cheerilee because they shouldn't be disastrous screwups ALL the time. Did anyone else think that Twist pinning the heart right into Cheerilee's chest looked like it should be really painful?
-Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Ganthan
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby Happygun » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:48 am

Here's a hypothetical for y'all.

If the mane cast were humanized (i.e. human versions of the ponies - NOT anthropomorphic ponies) and you had the choice of going on a date with one of them, which one would you take?
Happygun

PreviousNext

Return to W., C., B., B. & M., L.L.C.