[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
White Lightning Productions • View topic - Page 302 (6-26-2013)

Page 302 (6-26-2013)

For discussion of the web comic!

Moderators: Kris@WLP, bar1scorpio, Codewolf

Re: Page 302 (6-26-2013)

Postby ThomasNewton12 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:07 pm

ThomasNewton12
Huge tracts o'land

Postby Kris@WLP » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:32 pm

Kris@WLP, local head honcho
www.wlpcomics.com
PLEEZ, ORDER THE PETER IS THE WOLF TPBs!
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/tpb.html
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby Happygun » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:28 pm

Look, this debate has been going on for ages; scholars could write books on it (and have). I'm not going to pretend to have any new insight into it. PitW updates slowly and I'm OK with it. If it bothers you, voice your discontent and/or stop reading (as some of you have done). It just bugs me when readers get a sense of entitlement just because they follow the comic.
Happygun
Violating the law of gravity

Postby ThomasNewton12 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:51 pm

ThomasNewton12
Huge tracts o'land

Postby Henpecked » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:56 pm

I'm probably in a very small minority, but I actually prefer the tone the comic has taken in the past couple of years. PitW is the only webcomic I know of that actually thinks through the whole concept of werecreatures, how their history, culture, ethics and sensibilities have evolved, and stays consistent with those elements throughout the storyline. Granted, the subject matter that the comic has been using casts a pall on the proceedings from time to time, but I would've gotten tired of this comic years ago if it was still recycling the "SarahWuff Antics!" idea over and over again. The sex scenes, or lack thereof, don't bother me at all, because while they did bring me into the comic, the storyline is gripping enough to keep me here without them screwing on every page.

That said, I agree with a lot of what Cayen posted - the update schedule is growing increasingly spotty. Yes, the comic is free and not a viable income stream. If a con or a double-shift at work presents Kris and Ben with an opportunity to make money, then the comic is going to be given a lower priority. We get that. That's why we're not (or at least, I'm not) demanding fresh PitW pages every Wednesday at precisely 12:01 AM. But it's frustrating to come here each week and not at least have some indication when the next page is coming. It feels as though you're blowing us off.
Henpecked
Huge tracts o'land

Postby ThomasNewton12 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:42 pm

ThomasNewton12
Huge tracts o'land

Postby Boogaloo » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:55 pm

First time poster, long time reader. Although I know that artists tend to hate it when people say that they prefer earlier works to the current material, I have to kind of agree with that opinion here. I really liked the first couple of arcs, and even bought the book version in Werewolves Gone Wild (by the way, the 'Buy the Book' link on the comic page no longer works, it just takes you to a 404 page), but over the past year or so have found myself losing interest. I used to check in every week, but as there have been more delays and the plot has shifted towards the more dramatic and less funny/sexy, I generally only have a look at the page every month or so.

In general, I have to say I'm not a huge fan of comics getting more dramatic and serious from more lighthearted (and yes, sexy as well) roots. A slightly more mainstream example that immediately springs to mind is 'Empowered,' which as increasingly become more serious, and dark as it goes along. In that case I was especially unhappy with the inclusion of rape in volume 7 - once you enter a plot point like that, the jokes just don't seem as funny anymore.

Obviously this is just my opinion, so take it for what it is.
Boogaloo
Just getting started

Postby bar1scorpio » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:46 pm

Apologies & Lame Excuses Time. Sorry I hadn't posted to here about the hiatus. Just AnthroCon & prep for kicked my butt. Including having to work my weekend (Sun-Tues, when I'd normally work on the pages to post) to get Thurs & Fri off, trading days, because someone else had scheduled their vacation, feh. Of course that weekend all my drawing was doing commissions (still have a couple left over to do).

But we'll be climbing back on schedule this Wednesday, those who've seen my original pages know I draw them in these big sketchbooks. Not too keen the way they've been reacting to the Koh0-I-Noors that I've been inking with for the last year or so, so I'm also switching paper to 11x17s, (got a stack of Blue-Line Pro that I haven't touched in YEARS setting in a storage bin.) and hopefully we'll be seeing some positive results.

As for the Cerebus Syndrome. Yeah. I know. Any further down that slope without some serious backtracking to the sexxing & shenanigans at the series' core (hopefully Juniper will be there to help with that) and we'll be heading strictly into Patricia Briggs' territory (listening to "Cry Wolf" right now...).

In other news, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is awesome, and I hope it'll be a series (I think it'll at least be a movie).
And Go see Pacific Rim. Guillermo Del Toro has yet to disappoint.

And my last two conventions of the year are both in October, both in Michigan, Detroit FanFare & YoumaCon (both of which I'll be having a free table at - one thanks to my being staff, and the other thanks to Palladium being guests.

And I just got a shipment of Reaper Miniatures Bones that i will NEVER, in a million years, ever actually have the time to paint. *Sigh*

**Addendum** Anyone with Kickstarter questions, well, Kris liked those challenge coins that the Sluggy Freelance KS had going. I talked to Morgan recently, and he'd be okay with the work required to make a unique item - The mask of Sir Marrok, rendered in leather.
"Then again, I'm Gary Busey. Who knows what the f-ck I'm talking about." - Gary Busey
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby Kris@WLP » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:57 pm

www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby bar1scorpio » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:54 pm

Right. I keep messing those two up for some reason. Well. Okay, both have two words in the title, both begin with an S, and both are a lot more popular than our efforts.

In the meantime. On Pacific Rim - I think I found the actor for Sarah's Dad in it. Anyone wanna venture who I'm thinking of?
"Then again, I'm Gary Busey. Who knows what the f-ck I'm talking about." - Gary Busey
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby ThomasNewton12 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:22 am

ThomasNewton12
Huge tracts o'land

Postby Kris@WLP » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:16 pm

Incidentally, the 7-17 update will be the cover art for Pitw Book 2 (both versions, I hope).

The script for the next few pages has kicked my ass several different ways. The first draft was dry, boring exposition. The second draft was angsty dramatic stuff. The third draft had a few silly moments tacked on as an afterthought. They all sucked.

So Friday I threw out all but the first half of the first page and redid from scratch.

It's going to be the Rules of Werewolf Hunting... with chibis.

And as soon as that's done, changing room, without chibis.
www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby ThomasNewton12 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:26 pm

ThomasNewton12
Huge tracts o'land

Postby Happygun » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:58 pm

Happygun

Postby Kris@WLP » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby ThomasNewton12 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:31 pm

ThomasNewton12
Huge tracts o'land

Postby bar1scorpio » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:14 am

I think I mentioned I just listened to the AudioBook of Patricia Brigg's Cry Wolf?

Yeah... it's going to be a struggle to keep in the funny while advancing the plot, it seems. But given where most werewolf/paranormal series start out..

Swung by the Palladium Office today to work otn he clean page, like I said, on 11x17... thankfully they've a scanner up to the task. so I got it all in one go. You'll see the line work tomorrow.

And I'm still "bar1scorpio" on LiveJournal. and deviantart... and youtube... and the Bloody Jack message boards... and the Robotech & Palladium Books message boards... and the okay pretty much everywhere, except for RPG.net, where I had to drop the "1".
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby Happygun » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:12 am

Just watch the latest episodes of True Blood. They're so horrible - in both senses of the word - that you just naturally start coming up with hilarious parodies of dark vampire/werewolf stories. Seriously, that show is making fun of itself.
Happygun

Postby bar1scorpio » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:13 am

Are they taken strictly from the Sookie Stackhouse novels, like Game of Thrones, or are they mucked about with a bit like Dexter (which I haven't seen in years).

Meanwhile, Venture Brothers. OMG this new season...
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby ThomasNewton12 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:33 am

ThomasNewton12
Huge tracts o'land

Postby ThomasNewton12 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:25 pm

ThomasNewton12
Huge tracts o'land

Postby Rey » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:03 pm